Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Walk a Mile in my Stilettos

I am currently part of the population that is un/underemployed. Well meaning family, friends, associates and even random strangers want to offer advice or what they believe are comforting words.  If I hear "we are in a recession and people just aren't hiring right now" one more time I will scream. This is my reality I don't need you to remind me. I have been underemployed since September. On the first of September 2010 I had a fulltime and parttime by mid-September I only had my parrttime job to support me. Every morning I wake up and dedicate hours upon hours looking for a job any job. Recently I had a girlfriend ask me why I stayed depressed.. I told her to walk a mile in stilettos and then ask that question. Spending hours on the phone, on the computer looking for a job only to get "Ms. Davis you over/underqualified for the position advertised or you need to have XYandZ in place before you apply". Hear this lovely catchphrases enough in one day for months on end and you would be depressed too. I was recently asked if I had registered with job boards such as Careerbuilder, Monster and the like...I replied of course. Stop assuming everybody that is un/underemployed don't want to work.  Before passing judgment or offering what you intend to be well meaning advice walk a mile in their sneakers, moccasins, flip-flops, sandals, and even my stilettos.

No comments:

Post a Comment