Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Help and me

On opening weekend my girlfriend and I ventured out to see the critically acclaimed movie The Help starring Viola Davis. As I watched 1950-1960 Southern culture play out before an audience consisting of individuals of different races, socioeconomic backgrounds and religious makeup. While I watched the movie I thought about Sunday afternoons spent sitting listening to my grandma and her friends talking about the days of  working for The Turnage family or the Fitzgeralds aka the White folk.  My girlfriend got all weepy during certain parts of the movie and all I could think was "Honey this is what I my grandma, great grandma and mom told me about. The wisdom and knowledge of the past should be carried and passed on from generation to generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment